Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Raisin Bran Muffins -- A Favorite of Mine!

So, one thing about me -- I LOVE MUFFINS!  But strangely enough, I'm not in love with those fluffy, light-as-air muffins, such as the famous blueberry muffins or poppyseed muffins.  Don't get me wrong -- they ARE very good.  But, I like lots of texture when it comes to muffins.  I like the taste of fiber and grains.  And when I make these muffins, I snack on them ALL DAY LONG.

Seriously I do.

I have one with my morning oatmeal.

Then I usually have one as a morning snack.

Then I often have one as an afternoon snack.

And ashamed to say (or should I really be ashamed?  I mean, they are muffins full of grain and fiber!  It's not like I'm eating ice cream all day long...but wouldn't that be fun? ;), I usually have one (or two) before bed.

At this point in my life, I'm in love with muffins.  Maybe I should say that most of the muffins I make are mini-sized, so please don't think I'm gorging myself on these huge (albeit delicious) muffins :)  

Anyways, I should have taken pictures of the process (I mean, that makes a blog better, right?  Lots of pictures?).  I'll remember next time.  But I will take pictures after they are finished!

I modified (just a little) this recipe from http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/04/27/raisin-bran-muffins/.
It makes 12 normal-sized or 24 mini-muffins. 

1½ cups all-purpose flour (I like to used half white and half rye flour -- but I bet wheat flour would be good too)
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2½ cups Raisin Bran cereal
1/3 cup vegetable oil (you can substitute applesauce in place of the oil to make the muffins healthier)
1 egg
1¼ cups buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, you can add 1 1/4 T vinegar to make 1 1/4 cup milk and let set for 5-10 minutes)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and sugars. Stir in the cereal; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, and stir until completely combined. Add the pecans. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for at least 45 minutes (this allows the cereal to soften in the batter). If you don’t want to use immediately, you can refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
5. When ready to bake, divide the batter between the 12 muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with granulated sugar.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (mini muffins will take shorter), or until a thin knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days, and then in refrigerator for up to another week.

Before:
 After:


Hope you enjoy!!!  ~Shawna

2 comments:

We love comments, even if you're just a 'blog stalker'. It's cool, we are too. :)