Monday, April 4, 2011

Paperback Swap!

                                       

Are you a reader?? I REALLY love reading. It's my favorite hobby, and I look forward to it every day.  I usually do my reading in the evening after the little one is in bed, and it's a FABULOUS way to unwind!  :)  It's actually kinda funny how much I read now.  I loved reading when I was young, but I'll be honest and tell you that I rarely finished reading my required books during high school or college.  I was NOT a fan of some of the 'classics' or my textbooks.  Cliffs Notes and Spark Notes were my best friends.  It's truly a miracle that I did so well in my literature classes.   I remember in one class we would discuss the chapters we were supposed (ahem..) to have read, and I would be frantically scribbling down notes of what everybody was saying during class to make sure I knew what was going on in the book.  I think I ended up with a 'B' in that class or something... I'm telling ya...miracle.

ANYWAY.

After I married my fabulous hubby, I picked up reading again and fell in love!  My favorites are historical romances, but they're usually Christian based, simply to avoid all the extra stuff that I don't need to be reading.  ;)  I'm fairly picky though--I don't like unrealistic Christian novels.  For example, there was one book I read a few months ago, and it was unbelievably cheesy.  "Son, have I told you lately how much I love you?" (this from a father to his 30 year old son).  NO. NO. NO.  I finished the book, but I haven't been able to read another book by that author yet, out of fear.  ;)  So, if you're avoiding Christian based novels because of the fear of them being cheesy, let me assure you, that there are some EXCELLENT books out there.  :)

I will also confess that yes, I am a 'Twilight' fan.  A pretty big one, in fact.  There are a couple of things about the series I don't agree with, but overall, I'm a fan.

Let me get to the main reason for this post.  I want books available to me at all times, and sometimes the library doesn't have the selection that I want.  So, I went in search of a book club.  The problem?  I didn't want to pay a yearly fee or anything like that.  Somehow I came across this site called Paperback Swap.  It's a website with literally millions of books available to order.  It's not your typical bookstore though.  This is a place for you to trade (or swap) your books with other people all around the country.  Basically, you take your old books that you don't want anymore and enter their ISBN number into the system, and then post them online for others to 'order'.  Keep in mind that although the books don't need to be perfect, they do need to be in acceptable shape, without water damage or underlining.  The rules for posting are listed here.  Each book is worth one credit, regardless of whether it is hardback or paperback.  Anyway, once someone orders one of your books, you just ship the book to them, (so you have to pay $2-3 for media mail shipping) and once they receive it, you receive one credit per book.  In turn, you can take this credit, look for a book YOU want, and order it.  To order your book, all you do is click on the book you want, confirm your address, and your book is mailed within a few days.  All you pay for on this site is shipping your books to other members!!

Some books are in higher demand than others of course, so depending on that, people may order your books immediately, or you may have to wait a while.  On the flip side, if you're wanting to order a popular book, you may be put on a waiting list to order that book.  But seriously--books can be expensive, so you can end up paying around $3 (based on the book you shipped to receive your credit) for a book that's usually priced at $15 or even more!  Awesome.  Plus, as a new member, when you post your first 10 books, you earn TWO free credits, just like that.  Even more awesome.  :)

I signed up in '07 or '08, and since then, I have ordered 85 books and mailed 88!  :)  I LOVE this website!  So don't be afraid that it's too good to be true, I assure you, it's a great site!  :)

I'll leave you with a fabulous book to order--Thorn in my Heart by Liz Curtis Higgs.  :)  You won't regret it!  (I was going to suggest Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, but you'll be put on a waiting list for that one!)  ;)

If you have any questions, go here or feel free to ask me!

Happy reading!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, even if you're just a 'blog stalker'. It's cool, we are too. :)