Saturday, February 26, 2011

Memorizing Scripture

I think that two things that most Christians struggle with the most are praying and scripture memorization.  Prayer should be a simple act, and I feel that simplicity is God's plan for prayer, but there are so many books, thoughts, methods on prayer that it becomes confusing on "how to" pray.  Should I "talk" to God as my best friend or should I show reverence to him during my prayer and speak to him as the creator of the universe?  Should I set aside a time everyday to pray or is setting a time putting limits on our prayer life?  Should I pray for everyone on my prayer list everyday (which can be exhausting!) or should I have a revolving prayer list?  Should I pray for specific things or only that "His Will is done"?  See what I mean?  Prayer can be confusing and difficult at times, and I definitely don't have the answers.  It is definitely something I struggle with myself, although I do feel that God honors any true attempt at prayer.  

 Anyways, this blog isn't about prayer but about scripture memorization.  Some Christians have a gift for memorization and absolutely LOVE spending time memorizing scriptures, and how I wish I were that person!  However, I feel that most Christians would be embarrassed if they were honest about how many scriptures they knew by heart, and I would definitely be one of them.  I read this quote recently and thought it was very inspiring: 

“I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking, than memorizing Scripture. . . . No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends! Your prayer life will be strengthened. Your witnessing will be sharper and much more effective. Your attitudes and outlook will begin to change. Your mind will become alert and observant. Your confidence and assurance will be enhanced. Your faith will be solidified” (Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life [Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994], p. 61). Chuck Swindoll

So, if all this is true, what is keeping us from memorizing more?  I want my prayer life to be strengthened (maybe memorization will help us in that other struggle -- prayer)!  I want my witnessing to be sharper and more effective!  I want all of that!  So, why do I not focus more on that?!  Because it is hard...it is often tedious...it can be boring...I find "better" things to do...I'm fine without it...  These are all my excuses.  However, growing in my walk with the Father, becoming the person that God wants me to be, God never promised that it would be fun, exciting, easy.  So, I've decided for the New Year that I wanted to focus more on scripture memorization.  A friend of mine put a link on her blog, something that she wanted to do also:

 http://www.aholyexperience.com/a-bible-memorization-booklet-colossians-in-a-year-printable/

Sidenote: This is a beautiful website.  I often listen to the music during the day while taking care of my son.  Very calming and relaxing.   

I was very intrigued by this challenge.  However, I am one that finds a "great" idea and starts it only to quit it soon after due to boredom, frustrations, or some other reason.  But this one, I want to keep because my life and walk needs it.  I need it.  I need a challenge that will me grow, to help me understand more of who my Father and Savior is.  (By the way, I had to ask my husband if I should put "is" or "are" and he couldn't answer -- he said I may have found the one exception to the rule!). 

I challenge all of you, if you struggle with scripture memorization or just want to memorize more, to find or develop a scripture memorization plan, whether it is the Colossians plan demostrated through the website shown above or another plan of your choosing.  I doubt you will ever regret studying and memorizing God's Word!  

Shawna
















 

1 comment:

We love comments, even if you're just a 'blog stalker'. It's cool, we are too. :)